Moving to Japan?

Connect with fellow expats in Japan
Join exciting events and groups
Get information in our Japan guides
Exchange tips about expat life in Japan

Visa Requirements for Japan

Are you curious about the Land of the Rising Sun and its population? Moving to Japan will let you experience a country which combines traditional Asian culture with Western influences. InterNations features an overview of Japan’s main regions and the visa requirements for expats.

Most of the foreigners coming to Japan only need a valid passport and are eligible to enter Japan without a visa.  Nearly 70 countries have visa-waiver arrangements with Japan for foreigners on short-term trips, for example for traveling, visiting friends, conducting business negotiations, etc. After 90 days the visa can be renewed for another 90 days for most of the countries.

Short-Term Visas

Everyone whose country of origin is not listed among the nations with visa-waiver arrangements has to apply for a visa before coming to Japan. There are general visas for short-term visits and special visas for medical stays of up to six months. Have a look at this “Guide to Japanese visas” in order to learn more about the respective requirements.

Long-Term Visas

Since 2012, Japan has used a points-based immigration system to give highly skilled foreign professionals priority when moving to Japan. Expats working in academic research, business management or specialized and technical fields can apply under this system. If they are successful, they will be granted advantages such as prioritized processing of their application, a relaxation of any permanent residency applications, or permission for a spouse to work, even if the spouse does not qualify as a highly skilled professional themselves.

To qualify for this kind of visa, an applicant must have a total of 70 points or more, which are awarded based on academic qualification, years of experience and other skill-related factors. The criteria for point allocation have been published by the Immigration Bureau of Japan.

Expats who do not meet these criteria will still need to apply for another kind of long-term visa. Diplomatic and official visas are available specifically for the staff of foreign embassies and consulates. General long-term visas, on the other hand, cover the categories of cultural activities, pre-college and college education, professional training, and dependent family members of long-term foreign residents.

Most expats will probably be interested in the possibility of acquiring a work or long-term stay visa for taking up gainful employment in Japan. Such a visa can be issued to foreign employees and self-employed expats according to the following classifications:

  • professor
  • artist
  • religious activities
  • journalist
  • investment / management
  • legal / accounting
  • research
  • instructor
  • engineer
  • humanities / international services
  • entertainer
  • skilled labor
  • intra-company transfer
  • highly skilled professionals with preferred immigration treatment

Certificate of Eligibility

Every applicant for a long-term visa and/or work permit needs a so-called Certificate of Eligibility (zairyūshikaku nintei shomeisho) from a regional immigration office in Japan. Of course, you do not have to travel to Japan all by yourself in order to get this certificate. You can have a proxy handle the application process for you — for example your future employer, a non-profit organization, or an immigration lawyer.

The requirements for obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility and the documents necessary for your application vary from category to category. They are all listed in detail in the appropriate application form, which you can download from the Immigration Department of the Japanese Ministry of Justice

For instance, expats on an intra-company transfer need to complete a slightly different form to apply for a zairyūshikaku than their dependent family members. Without a Certificate of Eligibility, you will definitely not get a work permit or long-stay visa for Japan.

For more information on visas, work permits, and the Certificate of Eligibility, please contact your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate.

Also have a look at our article on Living in Japan where you can find valuable information on registration, accommodation, healthcare and much more.


We do our best to keep this article up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that the information provided is always current or complete. 

Edmund Taylor

"Tokyo has so much to offer and InterNations made it much easier to become acclimated to life in this bustling city."

Marina Salgado

"In such a huge city, InterNations has created great events for expats to meet in Tokyo."

Global Expat Guide

Top Articles Expat Guide