InterNations is a community of trust, dedicated to current, former, and future expats worldwide.Our guidelines ensure respectful conduct in our community and the high quality of information provided. This way InterNations remains the special place it is.
As a community of trust, InterNations takes the safety and security of our members very seriously. We have many different measures in place to create a safe community. Despite this, it’s important to use your own judgement when networking with members you don’t know well yet. Here are some points to keep in mind:
- You have complete control over who can contact you. You can change your privacy settings to reflect your preferences.
- Avoid sharing personal information with members you’ve only recently met or have never met before — unless you feel you can trust them and are comfortable doing so.
- We encourage you to only use InterNations to exchange messages with fellow members.
- InterNations membership is by approval only. However, some members might have other intentions than those stated on their application. Please be wary of claims that seem too good to be true — they usually are. Such behavior is rare at InterNations, but it is important to be aware of it.
- To help us easily separate genuine profiles from those with other intentions, please make sure your personal details are accurate when creating your account.
- We have many measures in place to make sure profiles are authentic. However, we also recommend personally reviewing another member’s profile and thinking carefully about the content and intention of their message before responding.
- Never offer financial assistance to or share your financial information with someone you’ve met online.
Meeting in Person
- We encourage you to make use of the InterNations Official Events and Activities to meet other members in a public environment.
- When meeting another member in person, you do so at your own risk. Get to know the other person online first, trust your instincts, and use common sense.
Reporting anything suspicious
- As a community, we believe it is everyone’s responsibility to look out for one another and work together to prevent and uncover any form of misconduct or unacceptable behavior. If you have concerns or come across anything suspicious, please don’t hesitate to get in touch by selecting “Report this” in the drop-down menu. You can report messages, contact requests, profiles, etc.
- Our Integrity Team thoroughly investigates every report and will take appropriate action whenever needed.
- Please note: We can only monitor and take action on communication that takes place on the InterNations platform. Be cautious if someone suggests another way of communicating.
- Keep your security software (anti-virus, firewall, etc.) on and up to date.
- Create a strong password and don’t use the same one for multiple accounts. Change it regularly, and don’t share your password with anyone. InterNations will never send you an email asking for your password. If you receive an email or message like this, please report it.
- If you’re using someone else’s device, log out of your account at the end of each session.
- If you believe your profile has been compromised, please change your password and contact us immediately.
- If you experience any suspicious activity on your InterNations account or your email account has been hacked, please get in touch with our Community Support Team via the Request Support form. We’re happy to help.